Concerned that you or someone you know may have Bipolar Disorder?
CereScan’s brain imaging technology is a valuable diagnostic tool for patients living with Bipolar Disorder – a complex condition that is often misdiagnosed. Without proper diagnosis, patients with this disorder may endure ineffective treatments, which can result in undue distress and suffering for themselves and their loved ones. CereScan’s functional brain imaging can help identify Bipolar Disorder and dramatically improve treatment paths.
According to the National Institute of Mental Health, Bipolar Disorder affects approximately 5.7 million adult Americans per year, accounting for around 2.6% of the U.S. adult population. When co-occurring conditions like Anxiety Disorder and ADHD are present in the same person, Bipolar Disorder can be very challenging to accurately diagnose. Fortunately, CereScan’s functional brain imaging can help when other attempts have failed.
If you think you or someone you know may be affected by Bipolar Disorder and would like a consultation, simply fill out the form below and one of our dedicated staff members will get back to you shortly.
If you have questions, we have answers. Call today to learn more about our diagnostic brain imaging or to schedule an appointment. Call toll-free at 866-722-4806.
DIAGNOSING bipolar disorder
Bipolar Disorder, formerly known and sometimes still referred to as Manic Depression, is a brain disorder that causes unusual shifts, spikes, and drops in mood, energy, activity levels, and the ability to carry out daily tasks.
People with Bipolar Disorder experience unusually intense emotional states that occur in distinct periods called “mood episodes.” Each mood episode represents a drastic change from a person’s usual mood and behavior. An overly joyful or excited state is called a manic episode and an extremely sad or hopeless state is called a depressive episode. Sometimes, a mood episode includes symptoms of both mania and depression. This is called a mixed state.
Symptoms of Bipolar Disorder can be severe and are distinctly different from the normal ups and downs of everyday life. These symptoms can lead to damaged relationships, poor job or school performance, depression, and even suicide. Symptoms may include any number of the following:
- Explosiveness and/or irritability
- Excessively good mood or bad mood
- Rapid, erratic talking
- Inability to concentrate
- Marked changes in energy and activity levels (doing several tasks at once, going “nonstop,” restlessness, or the opposite, an inability to do anything)
- Extreme changes in sleep (either oversleeping or sleeplessness)
- Behavioral and cognitive changes such as grandiose and/or delusional thinking, particularly during a manic episode, or the opposite, such as when someone seems to fall off the grid and become unreachable for a period of time
- Extreme feelings of powerfulness or just the opposite, powerlessness
- Exhibiting impulsive and/or poor judgment
- Alcohol and/or drug abuse
- Marked increase or decrease in sex drive
CereScan’s functional brain imaging identifies key blood flow patterns in the brain which can help accurately diagnose Bipolar Disorder. An accurate diagnosis can serve as a vital step toward more effective treatment and can significantly improve patient behavior.